Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Just Add Water

What do you get when you take a gorgeous view,

a good looking man,

a handmade beach blanket,

the cutest baby on the beach,

with those sweet little toes,

an adorable hat,

and a little yellow number that I bought back in January awaiting this very vacation?

One of my favorite memories this year.


We stole off to a quiet, mostly empty stretch of beach to get a few shots of Ruby in her little swimsuit and to try to take a dip in the warm gulf water. The air was warm and heavy with big, fluffy summer time clouds and our little girl was well rested and happy to oblige. Brett took a swim while I spread out the beach blanket that I stayed up past midnight the night before we flew out to finish and entertained Ruby with a plastic spray bottle and my sunglasses.

Once Brett got back in (you can see him in the water in the photo below) I headed out to bob in the waves (imagine a warm bath full of green pulp) and remember all those summers past that I spent anchored in a sand bar in view of our condo. One year I was out there when a few dolphins swam past and at the same time scared and thrilled me. This year I lasted about five minutes before the silence (lack of tourists in inner tubes) and my wild imagination got the best of me.

I got back to our blanket to let the sun dry my suit. Ruby was hungry again so I laid down to nurse her and realized that I had green pulp stuck all over me! She latched on before I could get it off and had herself a little seaweed lunch. I am pretty modest about nursing, especially in public places, but there were enough boobies showing on the beach that day that I figured no one would really take notice.

We stayed long enough to notice the couple about fifty yards away that got up to play badminton were both wearing thongs and that we weren't the only ones talking about it. We took Ruby's cues that she needed another nap, packed up our gear, and strolled back down the beach to our condo. I could hear bits of conversations behind us as we walked suddenly touching on babies and the first time they brought their kids to the beach. It was such a sweet afternoon.

Thanks for letting me share.
xoxo,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment