Saturday, August 7, 2010

Why I Will Always Love Craigslist


I found this listed on Craigslist two days ago and wrote back asking if it was still available. I got a call back and they gave me directions to the furniture warehouse and confirmed the size of it. Then I got a little skeptical. Who in their right mind would post an Ethan Allen Venetian Mirror that retails for $629.00 on Craigslist for $40.00. Was this a scam or was I just about to discover retail heaven? I got there and met one of two Jacks that worked there and he showed me the mirror. I figured it had to be badly damaged to go for that price but was surprised to see it only had two or three minor little cracks in places it wouldn't be noticeable once up on a wall.

Then I pointed out the small piece near the bottom that had a screw through it that had cracked clean in half. He acted as though he hadn't seen that. I played like it was a bummer but I knew I was still getting a monster of a deal and could glue that little guy back on and it would be no worse for wear. I don't mind home interiors with a little history. He sold it to me for $30 and said he had no idea what it retailed or. I still can't figure out if he thought he was getting the better end of the deal or not. I'd call it a win/win. And this huge thing will soon find a home in my studio always reminding me of why it pays to keep an eye on Craigslist.

xoxo,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment