Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Choosing Motherhood: Pep Talk To Self

source

I'm working hard to fill our next two weeks with lists and planned, thoughtful, intentional moments of being a part of each others lives rather than just bumping into each other as we wander to our own tasks. I'm not good at this and I will probably fail at least twice the first day.

I want my kids to get the best version of this but a lot of times I just don't know how to get excited about the things I feel are most important to a rich family life. Or I don't know how to get past day three.

Here's to choosing meal planning, sticking to a budget, playing music instead of summer TV while I work, committing to teaching Sebastian there is more out there than yogurt and chicken strips and goldfish crackers, to keeping the laundry in the drawers, to strengthening real life friendships so my kids can see how to be a friend, to exercising regularly again, to getting enough sleep, to having routines, to using humor to redirect, to being more affectionate.

I remind myself in moments of emotional laziness or weakness that I only get to be a young mother to young children once and that I can either do what is easy or do what is best. I don't want to look back and regret being distracted or busy. I want to put the hard work in so that my kids have every opportunity to be well-adjusted, interesting, creative, compassionate, healthy individuals. I want to learn more about the new places my kids are in developmentally so I can be prepared to handle those normal bumps in the road that sometimes leave us all frustrated. I also want to gain perspective on being gentle with myself when I don't live up to my own standards.

How do you feel like you're a good mom/wife/friend? What are your strengths and weaknesses when it comes to those you're in charge of or share life with?

xoxo,
Rachel

p.s. Sixteen more days until we get Brett back!



No comments:

Post a Comment