Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Awesome Book: The Boss of You

jm7632aw.jpg

As a newbie entrepreneur, I've been picking up a lot of small business related books. The best I've found thus far that I was really able to get into and felt was really relevant to what I was doing is The Boss of You by Emira Mears and Lauren Bacon, two kick-ass down-to-earth ladies. I just finished reading it this past weekend and it's one of those books I know I'll keep referring to because it's very comprehensive and full of invaluable advice and information. The tone of the authors is so approachable and they write with a certain flair that just keeps you reading and maintains/revives the excitement of doing your own thing your way. It's helped and will continue to help me bring clarity and structure to what I'm doing. They get it -my aim is not to get rich quick, or grow super big, which is the emphasis of several (male-written) business books out there, but rather my goal is to earn a nice living doing something I love in a way that is sustainable, keeps to my values, and helps me live my best life.

If you're a thinking of becoming an owner of a creative small business or maybe have already taken the leap, I highly recommend this resource. You'll get practical advice written in simple language (not a lot of business jargon here!) on how to work your ideas, and visualize and create a realistic plan in a way that's not overwhelming. Oh and you'll get a few words of encouragement that'll keep you going when you're doubting yourself. Emira and Lauren give you strategies for how to deal with this and reassure you others have gone through something similar, gotten through it, and succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment