Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Handmade Holidays

I'm so excited I could just scream because I'm Not Crafty!!
Have you seen birdseed wreaths in catalogs lately? They are usually around $30.00.
It's tempting but in the end I always pass.
Got the great idea to Google the other day and I found a recipe.
Birdseed Wreath
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups boiling water
4 1/4 ounce pkgs. Knox unflavored gelatin
8 cups birdseed
dried cranberries
Empty the 4 pkgs. of gelatin into 8 tablespoons of cold water in a large bowl.
Let the gelatin sit for a minute.
Meanwhile, boil the 1 1/2 cups of water. Add the boiling water to the gelatin and stir for 2 to 3 minutes until the gelatin has dissolved.
Pam your Bundt pan thoroughly.
Place a handful of cranberries in the bottom of pan.
Stir 8 cups of birdseed into the gelatin, mixing thoroughly.
Let the mixture set for a few minutes, then stir again. Repeat this process several times allowing all liquid to be absorbed. Pack birdseeds into Bundt pan.
Refrigerate at least 3 hours - overnight.
**After my first attempt here's what I will do differently:
Next time I will use 4 cups of birdseeds to keep it from being so heavy - it's supposed to hang from raffia.
Oh, I will also follow the direction with the gelatin so mine will stick together. :)
My cost to make this was about $2.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment